Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Boulder startup - Electroride

jpanichella
    Looks like it has the potential to really be a nice little commuter bike. Are they planning on skinning the chassis or leaving it "naked"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpanichella View Post
    Looks like it has the potential to really be a nice little commuter bike. Are they planning on skinning the chassis or leaving it "naked"?
    Not sure - I get the feeling they are going to leave it somewhat naked, maybe a couple body panels here or there. They seem to be doing a supermoto sort of thing (like the Zero), so what would be nice is if their bike was a better fit for small riders. The Zero is really tall, probably to big for me to ride (I'm 5'6").
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

Introduction to Boulder ElectroRide

Thanks for all the kind words about our Spark M4 project. I think it is time to say a bit out what we are trying to do with the company. Boulder ElectroRide is a small, self-funded startup seeking to enter the commuter bike market. We have no illusions that we'll be as big as Zero or Brammo any time soon, but we are working our tails off to make a solid product.

After seeing some of the discussion on this thread I realized that the specs I put up on the web site are quite out of date. Here are the correct specs for our bike:

Motor - Lemco D135. 14 kW continuous, 29 kW peak (19/39 HP).

Batteries - 96 x 16 amp-hr LiFePO4 Headway cylindrical cells in a 24S4P configuration. 4.9 kWh. MiniBMS battery management system.

Controller - Kelly KDC72601 600A pulse-width modulation

Charger - On-board. Delta-Q QuiQ.

I noticed that Nuts & Volts took issue with our choice of a Kelly controller. Was that because I had mistakenly put up a 300A controller or do you guys think that Kellys have problems? We used an Alltrax on our M2 prototype and had big problems with getting decent throttle response out of it so that's why we shifted to Kelly. But now I see that tons of folks are using Alltrax. Maybe we just got a defective unit.

Tom McKinnon
    www.BoulderElectroRide.com

PS Thank you to Noah for prompting us to become active on El Moto. He's built one helluva bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Naked bike

I forgot to respond to one other question. Yes, the Spark M4 will be a naked bike. As a practical matter, getting injection molded plastic parts is quite expensive in small quantities. But more importantly, Blair Keller, our frame designer, is a firm believer in the naked look.

Our in-depth market research (i.e. "hey Joe, whaduya think of this bike") seems to validate Blair's hunches.

Tom

jpanichella
    Hi Tom, welcome to ElMoto.

I think that the frame you guys devised is beautiful and needs no fairings. I can't wait to see a more detailed render of the final product. I think that most people took issue with the 300A Kelly controller because they are notoriously underrated (from an amperage standpoint), but a 600A unit seems to be more than enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea sorry I take only little offense to kelly and plan to test head to head with an alltrax in the future. I have a 400A model and believe that it offers great throttle response and has good programming, but it is way overrated. So when i saw 300A I was very much concerned. Good to know you have a 600A model thou. I have not seen that (in the cheaper KD models) on kellys site, must be using one of the higher end models.

So did you test with an agni and then move up to the Lemco?

Good stuff and welcome! Let us know how we can help out
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like

Kelly and Lemco

Yes, on our M4 bike we are using the Kelly KDC and not the lower cost KD model. We have a KD72301 on our M3 prototype.

I hope we made the right choice of Lemco vs Agni. As a practical matter, Agni was taking weeks to respond to simple email queries (and sometimes they didn't respond at all) whereas Trevor Lees of Lemco responded promptly and professionally. It was really just a visceral choice on which supplier we felt best about working with.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have heard the Lemco may be better than the agni. I think i watched some videos or something awhile back. I dont think you would be wrong with choosing either.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun look forward to seeing and driving one of your bikes soon.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    Great to see another company throwing their hat into the ring!

I've never been impressed by the throttle response of the Alltrax, especially in combination with the Magura throttle. Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12