Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Buy drops Brammo

Post Thanks / Like

Best Buy drops Brammo

It appears that Best Buy is giving up on the entire retail EV retail market, including Brammo. It sounds like they are more interested in selling EV accessories, rather than vehicles. I also note that they have had problems with customers complaining about reliability problems, poor performance and range concerns. Like I keep being told, early adopter beware - especially if you don't know how to fix the product yourself.

Read about it here: http://www.bnet.com/blog/electric-ca...rs-either/4220

jpanichella
    That's really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    I have had numerous customers complain about the Ultra Motor A2B they purchased from Best Buy having a dead battery because it had been sitting on the shelf for so long. Had they purchased it from a store like Hollywood Electrics, the battery would have been properly maintained and not sitting in a box for a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad for Brammo, but it seemed like an odd pairing from the beginning.

teddillard
    I keep wondering if the delivery problems for both the Empulse and the Enertia Plus had play in this decision... or if they affected sales, which, ultimately, drove the Best Buy decision...

The story felt to me like Best Buy was not really committed to all that a new product involves. They gave it a chance, but didn't realize this wasn't a box sale. At least not the type they are used to.

I also have had the lingering suspicion for a few months now that this was coming. Brammo started talking about independent dealers, and the Best Buy support seemed to be petering out. No stores added, the exclusivity ending, and then, no mention of Best Buy at all, really... all just internets gossip, really though.
    Last edited by teddillard; 19 May 2011 at 1022.

teddillard
    I also feel it's important to note, Best Buy is dropping almost their entire EV project, not just Brammo as the title of this thread suggests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Though Best Buy is continuing to sell electric bikes and scooters in about a fourth of their stores during the summer months.

It varies from state to state, but judging by how slow things started with Best Buy and Enertias, I think they underestimated the red tape involved in setting up individual stores to become licensed to sell motor vehicles - something most states don't require for electric bikes (and I suspect in some cases scooters). Add that in to the fact that the Enertia was likely the most expensive electric 2 wheeler they sold, I would not expect them to turn over product as fast as most of the other merchandise taking up floor space in a Best Buy.

Just because a big box electronics retailer may not be the most effective place for a Brammo dealer network, doesn't mean there's a problem with the viability of their product.
    Last edited by billmi; 19 May 2011 at 1118.

HighlanderMWC
    Best Buy didn't seem interested in selling the vehicles. I have seen numerous reports of how difficult it was to even get a salesman to show up in the EV section of Best Buy, never mind one that actually had any knowledge of the products there (including the Enertia). You can't sell a product in that price range without any sales support. I've heard that most of the purchases were from those who already knew about the Enertia and Best Buy was just a delivery mechanism.

I'd be amazed if Empulse or Enertia Plus would have any impact since nobody outside of a very limited online community has any awareness of them.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderMWC View Post
    I'd be amazed if Empulse or Enertia Plus would have any impact since nobody outside of a very limited online community has any awareness of them.
    Very true, good point, except considering the impact it would have with the decision-makers at BB.

I am guessing a big part of it is margin, too. I'd reckon they're going to make a lot more margin off the charging systems they're talking about than the bikes. I know for a fact the margins are really low on the full sized bikes, not so sure on the Razor scooters and bicycles and such.
    Last edited by teddillard; 19 May 2011 at 1127.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    Though Best Buy is continuing to sell electric bikes and scooters in about a fourth of their stores during the summer months.
    Um, this was the quote, just to be clear:
    "We’ll continue to offer a small number of electric scooters and one bike in 250 locations [out of 1,101 in the U.S.], during the summer biking season only."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast