Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: benefits of aerodynamics

Post Thanks / Like

benefits of aerodynamics

175 mph on 70 hp...while holding up an airplane.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/06...175-mph-w-vid/

Post Thanks / Like
    Aerodynamics FTW! If you have a normal bike with moderate fairing, then at speeds over 50km/h aerodynamic drag is the costliest factor in terms of power. Unfortunately a road-legal bike is limited in what it is allowed to have for fairings; the biggest gains are to be made by running a slender tail like the Craig Vetter Streamliner, but I wouldn't gamble on getting that past Dutch road authorities.
    But on the topic of aerodynamic benefits: I'm very interested to hear what people have achieved in streamlining and road stability. Both good for my own bike development and to tickle my aero interests (I was trained as an aeronautical engineer before I deserted to IT)
    Jan S.
    "I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M"

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty cool but a 200lb airplane is pretty amazing, considering the motors are good for probably 30-40lbs of it at least plus the battery pack. I wonder if the plane is like a big balsa hobby kit with the heat-shrinkable skin wrap?
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    i find it amazing that the plane balances like it does - two electric motors up front and a pilot slightly off center forward of the wing...

the amount of batteries in the tail section must be of enormous weight... but i like the ideal of electric planes, wish i had one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

"What even more sad is that the winning bikes in the TTXGP are million dollar machines that will never in the short term filter down to a consumer price level"

You have built some impressive motors recently, for race teams. Unfortunately you are being sucked into the horsepower race, with everyone else. You don't need a more powerful motor, nor does Agni. They are fine for building practical consumer vehicles just as they are.

Kraig Schultz has built a bike, with your motor, which matches the range, at posted speed limits, of a $37,250, 2012 Leaf...on 8 kWh!

Cedric Lynch built a bike, with his motor, that goes 100 miles, at legal speeds, on 4.5 kWh! He would love to find a market for his bike, but instead is stuck producing motors for a 19th century race series trying desperately to appear hip, by running electric motors in motorized lawn furniture.

John Harding, of Current Motors, would love to produce a streamliner version of their 5 kWh scooter...if there was a market.

Practical, affordable, electric vehicles could be built and sold now, not in decades, when battery technology makes some imagined exponential leap.

The problem is not the technology, it is the buying public. They want desperately to hang on to their John Wayne fantasy of motorized Conestoga wagons forging a new frontier.
    Last edited by Warren; 24 July 2011 at 0914.

Post Thanks / Like
    Warren
    All I ever wanted to do is enable customers and companies to build a good transportation motorcycle that meets all the needs of the road, speed acceleration and range. Kraig Schultz is my hero, he is proving it's all possible today and using the Enertrac motor is icing on the cake for me. Thing is, I'm not seeing much interest in solid two wheel E- transportation. The public is either into the flashy choppers, heavy touring bike like Victory or Harley or sports bikes. My dual motor design meets the needs of chopper and heavy touring bike market even at some level the sportsbike market.
    Nothing would make me happier, than to see the work Kraig Schultz is doing become a real product that the buying public wants to buy it.

How do we make it happen - Can we start with you Warren?
    Trying to Change the old school ways of doing things
    But I never Never try to break the laws of Physics
    http://www.enertrac.net
    http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=1543
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEldNmBgIF0
    http://www.evalbum.com/2568

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where I can fit in to all of this, but I would love to help change this.

I am behind both of you guys. I was able to get 81 wh/mile in city driving averaging 32mph. That translates to 80 miles with a kWh pack on a 20 year old frame and aerodynamics. A new frame can drop me at least 40lbs and reduce my frontal area by at least 30%. My point is big gains in efficiency and such is attainable. A little bit of money and school just stand in my way of trying to make a difference.

The work Kraig is doing is great and i really hope he can continue pushing his project forward. I really hope as a El Moto'er we can come together as a community and push the limits. Laguna is a great stepping stone. The Vetter event was a pretty good stepping stone. It felt good to step forward and take on the same challenge as the gas bikes. I actually came away from it wanting to beat (or prove to) them. I wanted to show them electrics are serious!

Warren did i miss a chance to meet you at Mid-Ohio? I had the blue electric motorcycle.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,

I was the grey beard with the glasses, at the start, who said I thought I'd seen your bike on the net, and you said, "Of course!" :-)

Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Kyle,

I was the grey beard with the glasses, at the start, who said I thought I'd seen your bike on the net, and you said, "Of course!" :-)

Warren
    Ahh, with the Werkstatt shirt! I'm sorry i didnt get a chance to talk more with you before or after the competition.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm sorry i didnt get a chance to talk more with you before or after the competition."

Yup! Me too. Sounds like you guys were able to make it back, despite the charging power getting cut off.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast