Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copper Tube Bus?

teddillard

Copper Tube Bus?

Can someone tell me why this is not a good idea? Seems awesome to me… First, take a copper tube with an ID of around .135 (for 12-14awg wire). Drill it like this:

Next, feed the wire through, like this, and crimp and solder:

Slip the whole thing through some heat-shrink and you have a bulletproof, low-profile bus. No?

I want to use this for the balance leads for the Turnigy packs. There are copper tube buses available for huge industrial applications, but I haven't been able to find anything for small gauge wire... seems like it would be a pretty slick way to make up pigtails. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by teddillard; 10 July 2011 at 0346.

teddillard
    V.2.0: with a simple copper pipe hanger:

Not quite as pretty...

teddillard
    Duh.

These little babies I got from Lowes.

I know Adam's laughing at me.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you need us for Ted you're figuring everything out

Only bad thing I see about the copper tube is that it may not be the most electrically conductive alloy of copper. for the balance leads your last idea is definitely the best. For the power leads you just need something a little bit bigger
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice and compact much cleaner than stripping more jacket away to twist them all together then solder-bomb!
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a backup electric system I was using a few years ago for power outages and the like, it was just a 12V inverter, couple thousand watt cheapo deal, combined with some group 27 deep cycles. I had used the cheapest battery cables you can buy at auto parts stores, 8 gauge copper wires IIRC. I was getting low voltage cut under heavy load, so I replaced those with some flattened 3/4" rigid copper wall water pipe I had laying around from an old plumbing project with some holes drilled in it and covered with heat shrink, no more LVC on the inverter until the batteries hit a much lower SOC. I might still have those laying around in fact - but it did work very well. I didn't use solder at any point, just mechanical through hole connections. I imagine if your going to try some crimping, the soft walled copper tubing might be better for that.

I also used those copper crimp deals from Lowe's before on an e-bike project to join a leaded Maxi-style fuse holder to some 8 or 10 gauge wire, they seemed to work O.K. for that, never loosened or heated badly, but that was a relatively minor 20-40A load range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crimp tube is the way to go, at least for small low current wiring. You might use adhesive heat shrink, just because it'll keep it from corroding and makes a better bond (maybe you did? I can't tell).

Not sure this will work for the power wiring. But it might. What gauge are the power cables from the cells?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    (Tony returns from the dead.)

Only issue I see with this is when you go to solder the main power cables, all the solder on the 8 or 10 AWG will go molten as well, potentially making the process fraught with peril but if your crimps are good, it should be legit. I am still deciding how I will do mine but I've got a plus or minus decent idea. My Katana will be alive tonight. Back to work.
    "We realize that we have not answered all your questions and in most cases, our
    answers have only served to produce more questions for which we have no answers,
    leaving us as confused as before. However, (we believe) we are now confused on a
    much higher level and about much more important things than before."

1978 Suzuki GS550 - 48V 60Ah Pb-A, Alltrax 4844, Etek-RT
    1997 Suzuki Katana 600 - 18s8p (~72V, 40Ah) 30C Turnigy Lipo, Navitas 500A with D&D Sepex

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    why not use copper grounding bar? It's tapped and has screws for everything. They're fairly cheap and they're great for making busses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/free-stock/5000494972/

teddillard
    Too big and bulky. Too not permanent (screws vs solder/crimp).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast