Thread: Sevcon roll call

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sevcon roll call

Just wondering who here is running a Sevcon controller? If anyone is interested I've cracked the mystery of the Sevcon CAN Calibrator and have a fully functioning emulation program. It should work with any Powerpak or Micropak, including series and sepex versions. It probably works with anything that uses the Sevcon CAN Calibrator p/ns 662/14022, 662/14030 and (guessing) 662/14063. I've only tested it on PP784 and PP745 SEM Powerpaks though.

You'll need some kind of CAN <-> Serial conversion, but this can be done for less than $100 with an Arduino and SparkFun CAN Shield. I've written a pretty good CAN library for the Arduino, and have a sketch available that will read/write between serial and the CAN bus.

I'm still working on interpreting the real time data stream coming from the controller, but I'm about half way through it already. Tango's post on his EvViz program has got me motivated to get this finshed now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAK View Post
    Just wondering who here is running a Sevcon controller? If anyone is interested....
    I know of 2 with PowerPaks. We are interested. Have a working calibrator between the 2 of us, but it is clumsy. And would like to get into data stream also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get all my notes together, polish up the program a bit, and then post a more comprehensive thread of exactly what I've got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. I just remembered I know of at least one other, maybe 2 which have PowerPaks and would likely be interested. I haven't spoken with them for a while. Last time I did, I was trying to get the wrong calibrator working for him without luck and then he finally got his laptop talking to it but wasn't able to spin the motor. At least mine runs :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so the program needs a little more polishing than I thought. It's going to be a weekend job. Here's what I've got so far though:

1. Fully functional calibrator emulator. Does everything the Sevcon 'Any Type' super secret calibrator does. Will presumably program any type of Powerpak or Micropak controllers.

2. Reads the data stream from a SEM Powerpak and so far I've decoded:
    • Battery voltage
    • Switch states, (pins 2 through 6)
    • Key time
    • Drive time
    • Armature amps
    • Field amps
    • Controller temperature
    • Percentage charge left
    • Accelerator voltage (pin 10)
    • Footbrake voltage (pin 11)

Probably gives the same information for Micropaks, but I don't have one to test.

I'll get some screen shots up when I've got the program in an acceptable state.
    Last edited by DaveAK; 20 October 2011 at 2147.

jpanichella
    Grrr spambots

Post Thanks / Like
    do u think it would work with the Sevcon SC1000 Part No 631/50401 Type PM4 24/36V 100Amp?? as i would be very interesting in this!!, cheers. steven g