Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 cbr 600rr

Post Thanks / Like

2010 cbr 600rr

Hey everybody. I made an introduction thread a while ago. I'm part of a Va. Tech team. We are building a bike to compete in the TTXGP this May. The bike is based off of a 2010 CBR 600RR. We were originally going to be competing in the 75 class, but that class will not exist this upcoming season. However, the TTXGP is doing a "75 award" for the fastest team using 7.5kwh or less. We're shooting for that award. And I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures at this time. This semester has been mostly designing and parts sourcing. I should have lots of pictures for next semester. So for now I can give you info about parts. Here is a picture of the bike as it sat at the beginning of the semester.
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...tasof10-11.jpg
    And here's a CAD of the bike with basic components
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...esentation.png

So, about the bike. As previously mentioned, we are running a 7.47 kWh pack made of Kokam cells; single stack of 24 in series. The cells are Kokam's "high power" 75ah cells. When assembled, the pack should weight around 88 lb. The BMS is still being decided upon. For the charger, we'll be using the Zivan NG5.

The motor is a custom wound AC permanent magnet motor provided by Kollmorgen. I want to share power specs, but I feel like I should keep some form of OPSEC; just for the fun of it at least. Regardless, a lot of designing went into this motor for use on the bike and we are very confident in the performance it'll put out. Our number crunching for the motor was done at a conservative 350 amps and even then it was keeping and and surpassing our desired outputs. We'll be dyno testing the motor shortly to see what kind of cooling we'll need. The shaft is also custom splined to match a Yamaha R6 spline. We did this so we can use Yamaha's 13 tooth front sprocket. The 13 tooth sprocket works out so that the commercially available rear sprockets match up to our desired gearing; anywhere between 3.5 to 3.8:1, depending on track.

The controller is also provided by Kollmorgen. I'm not too sure on it's nifty intricacies (I'm on the suspension team after all; not powertrain) but it's supposed to be one of Kollmorgen's newest and most capable. I can give you the general info about it: 550ARMS for 2 minutes, 250ARMS or 1 hour, CAN networking, 80 volt nominal.

The suspension is the stock CBR forks but the internals are currently getting spruced up and revalved with Penske goodies. The rear suspension is a full race spec Penske set up (graciously loaned by Penske). We also have a seasoned racer with an excellent track record to race the bike. He's also a guiding light for the suspension team, as he has worked as a suspension tech for various professional AMA teams.

Sorry I don't have eye candy for you. Winter break is approaching so I won't have too much to share for the next month. But I was bored and wanted to start a build thread. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated as much as I can!
    Last edited by screamingflea; 25 April 2012 at 2058.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow jazclrint On Twitter
    Very cool! Are you guys keeping a blog?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Are you guys sure 100v will be enough to take on BEMRT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingflea View Post
    We were originally going to be competing in the 75 class, but that class will not exist this upcoming season. However, the TTXGP is doing a "75 award" for the fastest team using 7.5kwh or less. We're shooting for that award.

That's news. I just read the revised rules a few days ago and the f75 class was still in there. Has there been an announcement or just insider talk?

Post Thanks / Like
    What is BEMRT?

jpanichella
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened on your campus today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome stuff. Looking forward to seeing you at the track!

One question I had is why dont you mount the batteries lower in the frame to help the handling of the bike?? I understand if you can't sure your design ideas. Its a very small battery, but it may still impact handling. It also may make sense to pick a narrower frame to improve aerodynamics. Sorry, I dont mean to tell you how to do it just offering ideas. I'm jealous that guys had your own motor/controller developed, nice connections

-Kyle
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    That's news. I just read the revised rules a few days ago and the f75 class was still in there. Has there been an announcement or just insider talk?
    I believe this info was in an email to registered TTXGP teams, so not sure if it has been announced yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    What is BEMRT?
    Buckeye Electric Motorcycle Race Team - Ohio State University team

Quote Originally Posted by jpanichella View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened on your campus today.
    Me too, my dad is a VT alumni and I've visited blacksburg many times
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Lugnut, with all due respect, it's not news. It was in there the day the rules were released. http://ttxgpmatters.wordpress.com/20...2-ttxgp-rules/
    Buckeye Electric Motorcycle Race Team http://ttxgpmatters.wordpress.com/20...-there-were-3/

My condolences to the VT campus.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Awesome stuff. Looking forward to seeing you at the track!

One question I had is why dont you mount the batteries lower in the frame to help the handling of the bike?? I understand if you can't sure your design ideas. Its a very small battery, but it may still impact handling. It also may make sense to pick a narrower frame to improve aerodynamics. Sorry, I dont mean to tell you how to do it just offering ideas. I'm jealous that guys had your own motor/controller developed, nice connections

-Kyle
    I don't believe lower is better. I think a centered mass that the bike pivots around is better. I think Richard320 can back me up when I say "mass centralization" has been the catch phrase in the industry rags for at least the past few years. It looks just right to me, but that isn't saying much.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast