Thread: 82 KZ550 - the KZE

Post Thanks / Like

82 KZ550 - the KZE

Next project:

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

2. Likes Spoonman, billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks about finished to me, just add leather panniers!

www.arc-ev-engineering.co.uk

ARCEVRacing on twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet. Is the KZ for the wife?

Post Thanks / Like
    I might let her ride it
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

82 kz440

Hi Noah,

What's the plan for this cruiser? Your first bike was edgy and minimalist...got an artist's view yet?

You have a great website! I have a KZ440 that I am converting to use 24 - CALB 70s an Alltrax 7245 and an ME1003, kind of like where you started on your first bike. Maybe try an AC-20 when my daughter gets out of college and my wallet! If I run the stock gearing at 15:45, 3000 is 78mph and loaded the motor runs at 2800. Will that be too whimpy off the line and never get to top end due to lack of power? What did you settle on for your gears before you went to the AC-20 and after.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve,

The KZ is definitely going to get a major overhaul. Maybe cafe, maybe bobber...probably something in between and not really either. It will look about as much like a KZ550 as my other bike looks like a GSX-R. I'm guessing everything south of the rear shocks is getting the angle grinder...but we'll see.

I'm not totally sure about the ME1003. I ended up being pretty happy with 4:1 gearing with my D&D. Taller than that and it was a dog off the line, and lower couldn't get me much about 55 mph. I think 3:1 (45:15) is going to be way too tall for normal driving with the 1003. 4:1 or higher would feel better.

Keep in mind that at 78 mph, your range is going to suffer badly. You'll be lucky to go 15 miles on that pack. Gearing for around 55-60 is more realistic, and will be a lot easier on your pack and drive system.

Do you have a build thread for the 440?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Hey Steve,

The KZ is definitely going to get a major overhaul. Maybe cafe, maybe bobber...probably something in between and not really either. It will look about as much like a KZ550 as my other bike looks like a GSX-R. I'm guessing everything south of the rear shocks is getting the angle grinder...but we'll see.

I'm not totally sure about the ME1003. I ended up being pretty happy with 4:1 gearing with my D&D. Taller than that and it was a dog off the line, and lower couldn't get me much about 55 mph. I think 3:1 (45:15) is going to be way too tall for normal driving with the 1003. 4:1 or higher would feel better.

Keep in mind that at 78 mph, your range is going to suffer badly. You'll be lucky to go 15 miles on that pack. Gearing for around 55-60 is more realistic, and will be a lot easier on your pack and drive system.

Do you have a build thread for the 440?
    I drove a 3400# Fiero today with 84 90ah TS cells (old ones at that) to pick up some parts for work and at mostly 60-70 mph I used 312wh/mile. Not sure how you could possibly use that much on a bike just cruising in our area. (Kingston to Bremerton WA and back). If I'm really nice (seldom am) with that Fiero I can get ~275wh/mile at mostly freeway speeds.
    Specs on car:
    Zilla Z2k-HV
    11" Kostov motor
    Our BMS, charger and display
    DC to DC by DCP (started by my boss and the owner of Altrax way back in the day)
    84 90ah TS cells (about 4 years old)

Not a bad idea to plan for the worst and be excited about better results but I know I will never figure a 500# motorcycle getting worse wh/mile than that Fiero at similar speeds.

Also Steve you should stop by the shop (easy boat ride for you to Kingston) sometime.
    Last edited by Skeezmour; 01 February 2012 at 2336.

Post Thanks / Like
    True, 15 is a pretty low estimate. 30 would be a high estimate (at 80 mph). Probably somewhere in between, just depends on how gentle you are. I tend to do use more throttle than I should...
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    True, 15 is a pretty low estimate. 30 would be a high estimate (at 80 mph). Probably somewhere in between, just depends on how gentle you are. I tend to do use more throttle than I should...
    Preaching to the choir my friend....look at the people I work with....Funny thing is the person who is the best eco driver I think I know is also the one who can scare the $%#^ out of me when he drives normal.

So rev one of this bike should be done..............1......2.....3.....4....NOW! Am I right? Do i win a prize?

I'm sure I'll love what you do.... Keep up the great work...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my first conversion so I am learning as I go and really appreciate the willingness of others to share their designs, especially when they are as well done and well documented as yours. I will start a thread next week after I complete gutting the bike and have a few pictures to share of bike and design plan. I'll plan a 4;1 set and then make adjustments after I can test it. I am on a tight budget for the first pass on this bike and have few mechanical resources so I will be very interested in your spin on the kz550. I'll keep things vanilla until it runs well. I plan to leave fenders and seat stock, gut the tank and re-mount. Toss the side covers and replace with something clear or tinted. I don't think I have the mechanical skills that you have so I will try to keep mods simple.

Skeezmour - I did stop by the shop but you were out...talked to Rich at length (is there any other way?). We go way back. I designed the E-meter with Rick Young as well as other meters that were popular with NREL and the EV world. Rich worked with us on many of those products.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast