Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72 volt 60ah GBS Battery pack question..

Post Thanks / Like

72 volt 60ah GBS Battery pack question..

I just ordered the 72 volt 60ah Battery pack and was wondering what I need to do to break in the battery pack so that I can get the most out of the batteries...
    Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Opinions will vary - basically, you should charge them, run them pretty easy, then charge them again. Did you get the GBS with the new BMS and LCD display? A couple charge cycles while keeping the current under 180A should do it. After that they should be balanced and "broken in". Probably a good idea to check the voltage on each cell when they're charged and make sure they're pretty close (all within about 0.02V)

The best thing for getting the most life out of the batteries is to not run them too hard, and try not to discharge them below 20%. The GBS 60Ah can run at 180A continuous. More than that and they will heat up and heat is bad. They'll do up 600A in short bursts of a second or two, but don't push them beyond that.

They also don't like to be run in the cold, especially below freezing.

Do all that and you should get 2000+ charge cycles and still have about 80% of original capacity.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information Noah.. I just bought them from Elite Power Solutions.. So I'm assuming that it is with the new BMS and LCD screen.. Unfortunately I just received an email saying that the CPU is on backorder but should be in about a week ... One more question for you.. Do I need to run the batteries down to around 20 % before charging them the first few times?
    Thanks again for the info...
    Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. EPS is great, that's where I got my pack, but with the older BMS.

You shouldn't need to discharge them to 20%. Just charge them up, then run a couple cycles down to 50% or so.

The 20% is just a recommendation not to take it below that in general. It won't really hurt them to do it once in a while, they just last longer the less you discharge them.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Dixon View Post
    A new battery, you can solve your problem in an instant.Consider how to spend these days the battery is to buy a practical choice? To the contrary. It depends on you, How do you well to learn this thing.
    Adam,

it's the 4 or 5th post i read from you in the past 5 minutes and i must say honestly that i'm puzzled at your answers. I read them again and again, and i don't really know what you mean. SOrry if i'm being rude.

I'm even contemplating that you may be a bot, programmed to respond to other users post. In order to prove me wrong on this one, let's have a simple Turing test. Please answer the following few questions:
    - Which president of the USA put the first man on the moon ?
    - Where am i living ?
    - What's the color of my hair ?

thanks to reassure me.

and please don't be offended.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My Build Thread

My Riding Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just FYI for the Noobs: Do not feed the monkeys (spammers).

If you suspect a post is from a Bot or Spammer, just click on the "Report Post" icon at the lower left of the post.

Thanks Guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All,

Hughes,

You have lovely hair, I am bald.

You live on planet earth, I live in La Reina de Los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula,

And I love World Famous Tommy's Burgers.

Tony
    ps i am not a bot (tob spelled backwards)

Post Thanks / Like
    "Adam Dixon" is a Spam bot, post reported.
    -edit- I see ZoomSmith already posted a comment about that.

As for pack break in, the #1 best advice I can think of is don't ruin your pack. The best way to prevent that is to make sure you have enough instrumentation hooked up to them during those first cycles to protect the batteries. You need enough instrumentation to make sure you are staying within the data sheet specs for charging and discharging, and don't be afraid to undercharge and underdischarge until you are comfortable that you don't have single cell(s) that will droop low or overshoot the other cells while cycling.

If you got the BMS with the cells, I would manually verify it's correct operation the first few charge cycles using a DVM, just in case. If you have a Cycle Analyst, don't be afraid to hook it up right away, even on the bench - use it to measure AH in and out of the pack as you are testing/cycling it. Use that, or something else, like the Xantrex LinkPro to measure both your discharge cycle and your charge cycles, so you can verify how much is going back in with your charge setup as well. If you don't have the BMS, make sure you've got enough gear at your disposal to accurately charge and discharge single cells,so you can bring them into line manually as needed. Starting out with just a 'dumb' bulk charger and nothing else is often a recipe for disaster.

I think probably the best simple advice I can give personally is to become intimately familiar with each of the cells in your pack without putting them at risk for destruction - don't be afraid to let the pack sit on your bench for a few weeks if you need to collect more parts and pieces to safely cycle them - that is the one thing that will definitely NOT destroy the pack. I always find it's the hardest thing; not to play with my new toy like a kid on Christmas morning...

Since your post is about a week old, hopefully you've got them in your hands by now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

i'm also planning to use the GBS 60Ah or 100Ah cells for my project.

Question: as space is a little thight when i model the thing in 3D, anyone knows how much space i need to leave for cables between each layer of cells ? Any pictures to share ? i don't want to underestimate the volume i need. Are cables going out from the side of the cell or from the top ? How about BMS wires ?

thanks
    Last edited by Hugues; 24 February 2012 at 0524.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My Build Thread

My Riding Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    GBS have a top cover , wiring can run between the cell and the cover (there are holes and space for wiring) , you can stack a GBS on top of another cell without problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast