Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EV MPG Calculator

Post Thanks / Like

EV MPG Calculator

I have be calculating some figures for our LEAF and it's MPG equivalent which uses the formula:

Miles per gallon = miles per kw * dollars per gallon / dollars per kw.

That number is easy to calculate since I can get the miles per kw from the car.

How do calculate the same for our Motorcycles if using AH? I am sure I could figure it out,
    but it is too early on a Sunday and one of our EE's would be able to recite it off the top of their head...

EDIT: After letting the coffee work it's magic, I remembered I have a Cycle Analyst and looked up the watts
    per mile (got to love this device) which showed 96 WPM on the last trip.

According to my excel calculator it is 301 MPG! Woof!

The left side is the LEAF and the right is the Cafe Racer.

The only other major variable I could think of might be charging efficiency, but I am not sure that would be worth the effort?

If you want to make it even more accurate, here is the excel spread sheet.

Please post your efforts and have fun!
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Racing.net
    Headway Headquarters
    Motenergy.com. (Formally Mars Electric LLC)
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    This makes sense - giving people an equivalent conversion to miles per gallon based on cost - that's something that will make sense to consumers. The current EPA MPGe system may make sense to engineers, but to Joe consumer, knowing how much energy is released from a gallon of gas is irrelevant compared to knowing how much it will cost to drive to and from work.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the numbers will get even better, especially for motorcycles, if you include the lower cost of maintenance. IC motorcycles can be very expensive to maintain if you follow the manufacturer's servicing recommendations and have the work performed by a dealership. Mine charges $100 an hour and the factory replacement parts (such as oil and air filters, replacement gaskets, oil, spark plugs, etc.) are quite expensive. As an example, the 24K service for my Triumph Bonneville, runs around $800 and if you have a Ducati it will cost you even more. Even a minor 6K service will set you back two or three hundred dollars. Just changing the brake fluid on my BMW with ABS takes a couple of hours to perform. With an electric motorcycle you miss a lot of that financial pain.

4. Likes EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect the cycleanalyst is counting watt-hours per mile from the battery pack (or controller), not the wall plug. You may want to reduce the MPGe downward by about 15% to compensate (since 96 Watt-hours per mile is really 110+ Wh/mile counting charging losses).

I need to take a look at the cycleanalyst. The logging features look really nice : )
    2006 Suzuki GS500, sold
    2012 Zero S ZF9
    http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Well by not accounting for delivery doesn't that just put it on par with gas

Post Thanks / Like
    15%?
    I may be capable of getting an accurate number since I have
    Kill A Watt Electricity Load Meter. I can charge the bike up since I have not since the weekend ride.

That should give us a preliminary percentage between the watts per miles used amount and charge
    wattage for this particular setup.

If I can find a 240v version I could get the LEAF numbers as well.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Racing.net
    Headway Headquarters

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeezmour View Post
    Are we speaking of the "pull the Oil from the ground, transport it to the refinery, use some
    of that coal fired electricity to make the gasoline, transport it to the storage depot, transfer it
    to the truck (more electricity to run the pump?) and then to yor local Gas station (using gas to
    transport it?) where you have to drive to it to refuel" versus "the power plant to your home"
    difference? Yea, that should make it close

Of course I have been charging the bike on solar.... but that would throw a wrench in to all of their
    (the folks that like to tell me that Coal fired electricity is worse than gasoline) ideology.

Are we having fun or what!
    Last edited by EVcycle; 12 March 2012 at 0403.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Racing.net
    Headway Headquarters

9. Likes billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Of course I have been charging the bike on solar" Me too, after seeing your posts a couple years ago I bought 6 panels. Just ordered 2 more last week. Only difference is I use grid tie inverters instead of a battery bank. Although I keep a 12v 100AH on float with an inverter for back up.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95, 6:1 Gearing, (25) 40Ah Calib Lifepo4 cells
    On board charger, Mini-BMS, Kelly 400amp Controller, all LED lighting
    12' Yamaha FZ1, 06' XR650R SM, 71' DT250 Yamaha, 78' RD400 Yamaha
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeezmour View Post
    Since this is miles per gallon-equivalent in the dollars sense, yes the $3.65 or whatever you pay at the pump includes delivery costs. And so does the $0.11/kWh or whatever you pay the utility.

Edit: OP, are you talking about watts per mile or watt-hours per mile when you say WPM?
    Last edited by protomech; 12 March 2012 at 0723.
    2006 Suzuki GS500, sold
    2012 Zero S ZF9
    http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are trying to convince the public about the economics of electric vehicles, I say you should just make it simple and only deal with what the EV/IC owner will actually pay out of their pocket. All those other costs and environmental concerns are pretty complicated and not something that most people are going to want to hear. All they really want to know is how much money is it going to cost them. If owning an EV is cheaper than owning an IC vehicle, that is what they want to hear.

What I need to do is to sit down and try to figure out what it would actually cost to buy, operate, maintain and resell an el moto and compare that to a similar IC vehicle (such as a Suzuki SV650) over a certain number of miles. All that other stuff having to do with mining the aluminum to build the bike and the digging up the coal to power the generator is way too complicated to figure out (unless you are working on your doctorate thesis) and most peoples' eyes will just glaze over when discussing this level of detail. What I want are simple facts and calculations that can be quoted to the public (or the press, or politicians) to justify the purchase and ownership of an electric vehicle.

BTW, I just heard on the radio that Coda is shipping their first car from their Benicia, CA factory, to their only local dealership somewhere around San Jose, today. They are claiming that the car costs around $30K after government rebates and was tested on the Government EV cycle as having a range of 125 miles.

In No. CA we are paying around 14 cents per kWh and regular fuel is averaging about $4.40 per gallon at the moment.
    Last edited by Richard230; 12 March 2012 at 0755.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast