Thread: Electric mopeds for rent

Post Thanks / Like

Electric mopeds for rent

I just heard a blurb on the news about a new company in San Francisco that is planning to rent electric mopeds so that tourists and residents can travel around the City without having to hail a cab, wait for a bus (that may not go where you want to), or drive a car. It sounds like an interesting idea, but few details were provided as it was just a "teaser". If more information shows up in my newspaper, or in the nightly TV news, I will post further.

Post Thanks / Like
    I overheard the report again and the company that is going to try this is "Scout Networks" (if I heard correctly). Since San Francisco has been eliminating a lot of vehicle traffic lanes and installing dedicated bus and bicycle lanes to replace them, riding a bicycle is probably an efficient way to get around the City. Plus, you really need a motor to get up those hills, so an electric-assist makes a lot of sense (if it can handle a 20% gradient). The report claims that the mopeds will be rented by the day or the month ("for not much more than a monthly bus pass") and that they will be offered for public rental by the end of the year. In the meantime, they plan to rent the e-bikes to private companies for their employees to get around town as a test. It will be interesting to see what e-bikes they will be using and if this business model works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the rental include the red jackets? .

Post Thanks / Like
    So it is "Scoot" and not "Scout". I guess I must have been thinking of the Lone Ranger.

Now, I know they described them as "mopeds" on the news. But they look a lot more like Scoot-ers to me.

You are going to need those red jackets to be seen in San Francisco.