Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Capacitor Battery Now a reality...

Post Thanks / Like

Ultra Capacitor Battery Now a reality...

I found this article to which i find very interesting and promising about replacing batteries with the ultra capacitor storage...

still in the infant stage it looks very promising - any comments???

the article;

Batteries recalled

Ultracapacitors to replace batteries

Ultracapacitors to replace batteries, Batteries start fires. Batteries pollute. Batteries wear out. Batteries can leak acid. What the world needs is a better way to store electric energy. The people who invested in Google, Amazon, and AOL are now putting their money in ultracapacitors.
    New ultracapacitors can replace batteries

If a new company called EEStor delivers on its promises, storing electric power in what it calls ultracapacitors will change the world.

Among EEStor's claims is that its "electrical energy storage unit" (EESU) could pack nearly 10 times the energy punch of a lead-acid battery of similar weight and, under mass production, would cost half as much.
    It also says its technology more than doubles the energy density of lithium-ion batteries in most portable computer and mobile gadgets today, but could be produced at one-eighth the cost. Tree Hugger

EEStore has contracted to deliver its first EESUs to ZENN Motor Company in 2007 to use in their electric vehicles. It also has patented "Electrical-energy-storage unit (EESU) utilizing ceramic and integrated-circuit technologies for replacement of electrochemical batteries."
    What is an ultracapacitor and how does it work?

According to Clean Break via The Energy Blog

It is a parallel plate capacitor with barium titanate as the dielectric.
    It claims that it can make a battery at half the cost per kilowatt-hour and one-tenth the weight of lead-acid batteries.
    As of last year selling price would start at $3,200 and fall to $2,100 in high-volume production
    The product weighs 400 pounds and delivers 52 kilowatt-hours.
    The batteries fully charge in minutes as opposed to hours.
    The EEStor technology has been tested up to a million cycles with no material degradation compared to lead acid batteries that optimistically have 500 to 700 recharge cycles,
    Because it's a solid state battery rather than a chemical battery, such being the case for lithium ion technology, there would be no overheating and thus safety concerns with using it in a vehicle.

A capacitor is like a grilled cheese sandwich. The electrical energy is stored in the bread slices. The cheese needs to prevent the stored electricity from leaking across to the other side. In ultracapacitors the pressure will be over a thousand volts. The company that can solve ultracapacitor size, weight, leakage, cost, and safety issues will have the "holy grail" of electric storage.

Earth and Space Science
    Life Science
    History and Nature of Science
    Physical Science
    Math

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/buzz_tags/ultracapacitors

"My Comment" - im still going with the headway cells to complete my batter pack, but this looks good as far as future energy storage goes, but im sure its one of those i'll believe it when i see it thangs, but im hopeful...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a competition for the EEstor's people, especially since EEsters hasnt delivered yet...

http://newenergyandfuel.com/http:/ne...ated-graphene/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen_okc View Post
    EEStore has contracted to deliver its first EESUs to ZENN Motor Company in 2007 to use in their electric vehicles.
    And we are still waiting for this magic product that they have never shown a working sample of. Best you will find is that they got thier testing equipment independly tested . I have been around this buisness since 2008 and I heard of this stuff then. As much as I would LOVE to see these work I'm waiting till they actualy show a working prototype before I will even start to get excited again about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    The method in which a double layer carbon cap stores charge does not enable increasing voltage. They do not function by holding charge with an electro-static field like an electrolytic capacitor. They are an electro-chemical storage device that functions the same way the anode in a lithium battery works (you can actually make an ultra-cap by stacking two anode layers with a separator between them). Because of this, regardless of the break-down voltages of the materials used on each plate, you can not exceed a voltage that breaks down the electrolyte or your device will off-gas and fail rapidly. 8V is about the highest you're going to get. The concept of EEStor is intrinsically flawed. I was fooled by it for a few years before I learned how ultra-caps actually function.

Post Thanks / Like
    the technology is involving, look at the past ten years, LiPo (and derivatives) did change a lot of things.
    I'm struggling now to put enough energy in my new build to have decent acceleration and range,
    but I'm also confident this same frame will see another technology inside of it, be it in a few years down the line,
    I'm patient, but confident.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You liveforphysics - im hopeful too about a technology like this... the competition in texas is a ray of light to me...

it would be nice if the battery issue was no longer a issue, maybe one day - like huges says they are doing leaps and bounds on getting to the point of creating the perfect battery solution...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yet once again////// Will this great creation be the 100 mpg carb of the 50's The only way the next great thing in mass travel will make it, is one of two ways. Its if big money can make bigger money orrrrrrr ppl stand up for them selves and bitch. It happened once and i hope we dont let it happen again. Wow im such a happy sole today. Sorry but this is the one thing that gets under my skin. When progress is interrupted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJROB80 View Post
    Yet once again////// Will this great creation be the 100 mpg carb of the 50's The only way the next great thing in mass travel will make it, is one of two ways. Its if big money can make bigger money orrrrrrr ppl stand up for them selves and bitch. It happened once and i hope we dont let it happen again. Wow im such a happy sole today. Sorry but this is the one thing that gets under my skin. When progress is interrupted.
    This is not progress mate. It's a scam to fool folks into thinking you can make high voltage supercaps (which I explained above why it can't work). It's a hindrance to all the folks actually trying to make functional energy storage devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    liveforphysics - Is it possible to put ultra-capacitors in series like lithium cells to get higher voltages? I'm guessing a specialized load balancing circuit would be required, but I assumed high voltage ultra-capacitor batteries would happen one day (I'm not saying this announcement is legit, but I'm curious about the theoretical limits of ultra-caps).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, of course. However, the energy density improvement claim of EEstor comes entirely from the voltage increase.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast