Thread: 2012 Zero XU

Post Thanks / Like

2012 Zero XU

Might as well post this here too...

Last edited by craigq; 19 April 2012 at 1756.
    2012 Zero XU

2. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem?

Nice retro look.

However, imo, the rear wheel sprocket is too large relative to the small sprocket on the motor, and will eventually cause problems.

You'll note that jackshafts (ratio-reduction) are used by long-lived EV's such as the Swiss-designed Solectria, and the Ego-II electric scooter.

(The Ego-II's weak spot was its plastic sprockets. After conversion to chain drive, the Ego was bulletproof.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice bike!

According to data the Polychain GT carbon is rated to 21 kW / 12mm belt width with 25 tooth front at 5000 RPM. I think the zero has a 14mm wide belt, so that's about 25kW. Seems fine given the motor's continuous power output is 12 kW.

I don't think the relative size of front/rear matters (unless the geometry is so extreme that you can't get correct belt tension on the front pulley).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Even better, the XU's motor is rated at 5.2 kW so hopefully there's a lot of over-engineering going on here. The problems I've seen with front/rear sizing is usually swingarm wear, that shouldn't be a problem with the near-concentric configuration of the 2012's...
    2012 Zero XU

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the relative size of front/rear matters (unless the geometry is so extreme that you can't get correct belt tension on the front pulley).
    Relative size of the pulleys can significantly affect the "number of meshing teeth" in the smaller pulley, another design limitation when sizing a belt-drive.

(nice reference Noah! - much easier to read than the Gates Design Guide)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomSmith View Post
    Relative size of the pulleys can significantly affect the "number of meshing teeth" in the smaller pulley, another design limitation when sizing a belt-drive.
    good point....which also depends on how close the pulley's are (if they're spread far apart, it doesn't change the tooth engagement at the small pulley that much).

i personally like my chain drive, but it'll be nice if the belt drive parts start showing up in Zero's online store. pretty much no off-the-shelf belt drive parts with ratios for an electric, at least that i've been able to find.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomSmith View Post
    (nice reference Noah! - much easier to read than the Gates Design Guide)
    Nice find Noah, thanks !
    2012 Zero XU

Post Thanks / Like

First XU in France

Look who's charging down in the street ;-) : Moto charge.jpg

Great bike for the city, really ! I'll just have a topcase installed so that I can keep helmet, raincoat & lock in it...
    Thanks a lot to Craigg for his info on the bike...

V

PS : For those interested, total cost of ownership of Zero Xu compared to Honda 600 CBF compared to small 125 cc : http://juliette.nfrance.com/~ju16656..._vehicules.png

Zero Xu wins (if the low maintenace hypothesis is verified, since there is no chain, no gearbox,...).
    Last edited by vchampain; 16 June 2012 at 0545.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow mcf12 On Twitter Add mcf12 on Facebook
    Craig, if you are game, it is easy to pull some of the plastic off and relocate the tail electronics to under the seat for a different look. The factory frame is kinda sexy once you can actually see it.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340620484.860933.jpg