Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The TTZero 2012 update thread - Teams

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the report by Ultimate Motorcycling on the Motoczysz win. The interesting thing is that the race results seem to be getting about as much coverage as the ICE races and the article says that the grandstands were filled during the race. While racing organizations may not be all that thrilled with el motos, it appears that much of the public and racing fans are.

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...-breaks-100mph

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump in here and join in congratulating Michael and Motoczysz for breaking the ton by a rather impressive margin. Also, props to Jon McGuinness and the Mugen Shinden team for a very impressive first outing at the TT Zero. Based on reading the IOM TT forums, there is a very mixed sentiment with the TT Zero. Some love it and are looking forward to seeing what happens in the years to come. Others are taking the who cares they've hit the 100 mph lap and get rid of them. I have to agree with Richard that this has to be the most coverage of the TT Zero that I've seen ever. The first TTXGP was no where near this level, and the Manx Radio TT commentators seemed genuinely enthusiastic about the future of these bikes. Great race, good to see three bikes relatively close to each other and at a very rapid pace. Can't wait for the next one. Now if Motoczysz and Mugen would turn up for the rest of the TTXGP or FIM E-power...

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone on Asphalt and Rubber mentioned that beating the sidecar (116.XXX) record would be the next logical step behind first over 110. I have also spoke with someone about potential for making it a two lap race, but that is the wrong direction in my option. Battery Swapping is just about the only option there and would increase budget significantly.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like
    "Someone on Asphalt and Rubber mentioned that beating the sidecar (116.XXX) record would be the next logical step"

At least the sidecar rigs appear to have better aerodynamics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, good coverage. Just watched an hour long TV programme of the days racing. 20mins sidecars, 20mins supersport, 20mins TTZero.
    As for the opinion of the spectators, Dicey's right, it is mixed, but I was stood amongst some as I have been each year and there has been a sea change to the positive.
    Now that the 100mph has been achieved, I hope it doesn't deter the likes of MotoCzysz from returning though I would completely understand if they chose not to. On that note, I hope Michael and the rest of his team get the recognition they deserve back home in the states, it's been a long road and a huge money pit for them.

good show chaps.
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magicsmoke View Post
    Yep, good coverage. Just watched an hour long TV programme of the days racing. 20mins sidecars, 20mins supersport, 20mins TTZero.
    As for the opinion of the spectators, Dicey's right, it is mixed, but I was stood amongst some as I have been each year and there has been a sea change to the positive.
    Now that the 100mph has been achieved, I hope it doesn't deter the likes of MotoCzysz from returning though I would completely understand if they chose not to. On that note, I hope Michael and the rest of his team get the recognition they deserve back home in the states, it's been a long road and a huge money pit for them.

good show chaps.
    Rob
    Thanks for insight Rob. I will be sure to congratulate and thank Michael Czysz for the work he has done with El Motos and to help birth Electric Motorcycle Racing on the global stage. Hopefully I get the chance at Laguna. I need to buy that plane ticket...
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Motor Thread , Sorry excuse for a blog/
    OSU IOM Build Thread, OSU Current webpage

"Noah ducks and runs away with Ted. N&V joins in and we have a 3 way tranny fest.
    Hmmm...that didn't come out right..." -podolefsky

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to the teams from MotoCzysz and Mugen Shinden for their > 100 mph average-lap-speed results. Great to see emcs earning more race respect and receiving positive press. Here's an IOM TT Zero YT vid showing some impressive speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting video trying to capture the progression of speed from 2010 - 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great article in Gizmag about the IOM TT Zero race and the future of emc racing.

Honda bursts onto the electric motorcycle racing scene at IOM but Segway MotoCzysz prevails.

Here's a couple of my favorite lines from the article.

Czysz has developed exquisite technology that can rightfully claim to be world beating as of this moment, but Honda is clearly coming after the mantle of the world's fastest EV producer, and it brings with it a full hand of knowledge in a wide range of relevant technologies, and enough money to get the job done, whatever that takes.
    John McGuinness when interviewed after the race, revealed some interesting information. He said he'd ridden most of the race at 50% power but towards the end he was told that he could use 60% power. "So I turned it up to 60% and didn't it go then," he said, indicating that a LOT more power was available for shorter circuits.
    Enjoyed reading the comments too. I hadn't even thought about what paulblez pointed out about the lap time comparisons with ice bikes.

... those 'ton-up' laps were all achieved from a standing start, whereas all the petrol/gasoline fastest race laps are always set on flying laps. The sooner TTzero goes up to two laps the better, IMHO. It's what Azhar Hussain wanted to do for 2010 and as Cedric Lynch says, it would make aerodynamics much more important! PNB

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how long it will be up, but ITV4 coverage of the race is here:
    http://blip.tv/rossifumi/2012-isle-o...t-zero-6191496
    Follow me on twitter or read my blog.

11. Likes Square Wave liked this post
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast