Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The TTZero 2012 update thread - Teams

Post Thanks / Like
    I went for a wander around the paddock yesterday and had a look at the Moto Czysz bikes;
    Photobucket

Its apparent that the focus has been on the aerodynamic optimisation, whether that means the drive train remains the same or not is a matter of conjecture. Obviously reducing drag will mean that the riders can ride harder for longer with improved range.

Also the Shinden with McGuinness in parc ferme

Hiro Matsush1ta on the Komatti Mirai machine, a Triumph 675 frame decked out with brushed motors as expected
    Photobucket

The ManTTX machine, largely unchanged but refined for this year

The Tork racing machine with twin Agnis

And most interestingly the Vercarmoto machine. We went and had a chat with the Italian team earlier in the day and were told that it runs a modified R6 6-speed gearbox, weighs 200kg and has a 17Ah battery pack. No info on the motor, but the bike is using a huge radiator to cool the motor(s?). Its a gorgeous bike, all-carbon frame and swingarm and a subframe made from something called "ollomnium" (research needed). According to one of the engineers, it has been in development for two years and was designed specifically for the Isle of Man. Could be a surprise competitor capable getting on the podium, however lack of experience at the TT might hold them back. We were told that the bike has track tested and road tested the necessary range, but it is almost impossible to replicate the TT track for optimising power consumption with track testing due to the high average speed needed to be attained.

Photobucket

Its good to see a variety of bikes here, we counted 8 bikes present and ready to race in parc ferme before the session was cancelled:

Both Moto Czysz bikes
    Mugen Shinden
    IH11 (IH12 won't be racing)
    Tork Racing
    Komatti Mirai
    Vercarmoto
    ManTTX

The Lightning bike is known to be on the island but with battery pack under construction (?!) according to Michael Czysz. Also, the Kawasaki Zytek ZX-10EV is present but not running. There has been no appearance by either Brunel or Imperial or any of the 'official' Agni bikes, Sarolea or TGM IOT. Still not a bad showing, it will be especially interesting if the Lightning bike is ready in time for Wednesday.

Simon

2. Likes seanece, Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Its apparent that the focus has been on the aerodynamic optimisation"

So, do the rules prohibit an actual tail fairing? I think this is the first time I have seen a motorcycle with rear fender skirts, and tail fins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    ......motorcycle with rear fender skirts, and tail fins.
    Maybe I am blind, but I do not see any pegs. The Segway bike looks to streamline by tucking the legs/feet into the tail section (knees by Dow Kokam). If it is semi-comfortable, then it is a brilliant/revolutionary idea for aero on electric race bikes. Very jealous of you Castrophony, great photos!
    Famous Quotes....
    James May - "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"
    BillMi - "Holy Cats! .... (it's) a death trap with extra killing sauce."
    Teresa Dillard - "I can't believe you (Ted) killed a Prius."

[10-09, 20:32] jpanichella: I was worried I was talking to myself
    [10-09, 20:45] EVcycle: you were I am a bot.....

Post Thanks / Like
    So, do the rules prohibit an actual tail fairing?
    There is no one phrase in the regulations prohibiting the use of something like a fish-tail fairing on the rear, but there are restrictions on how far beyond the rear wheel any bodywork may extend (I think its something like 600mm IIRC) and the height of any fairing; anything short of full streamlining is pretty much ok.
    TBH adding a large tapering fairing is less effective than using passive flow control techniques such as those employed on the E1PC bikes because it adds so much more weight, not to mention the skin friction of the added surface area.

There is someone who has turned up, the Austrian TGM IOT project that I thought wasn't present was found lurking in a small tent in the paddock. With a miniscule budget they has comepletely upstaged the new Moto Czysz bikes, at least in terms of aerodynamic optimisation, by going for a feet-forward bike...!

Simon

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    @Castrophony, did I miss something? Why is IH12 not racing?

Post Thanks / Like
    "the Austrian TGM IOT project.....going for a feet-forward bike...!"

Ooh! Pictures please.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I do not see any pegs. The Segway bike looks to streamline by tucking the legs/feet into the tail section"

I definitely see the foot pegs. But perhaps they can hang their ankles in behind those tail fins on long straights...kind of a high version of the old Norton kneeler? But I suspect the fins are actually to straighten out the turbulence coming off their arms and knees.
    Last edited by Warren; 03 June 2012 at 0943.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I do not see any pegs. The Segway bike looks to streamline by tucking the legs/feet into the tail section"
    The pegs are just bottom left of the Protoype castings engraving on the swingarm. They're black with white nylon end caps.

The winglets on the tail section have not function for the rider's feet, they're there to produce vortices which re-energise the wake of the bike, thereby reducing drag. Effectively they replicate the effect of having a big, tapering tail section without any of the added weight or skin friction.

I was mistaken with TGM IOT bike, the bike I'm talking about is actually the work of a random Austrian dude caled Harold who is planning to finish building (!) his bike and enter it; whether he achieves one or either of those goals is uncertain, but the TGM effort is nowhere to be seen.
    I will try and get as many pics as possible over the next couple of days

Simon

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    For the "special" material used on the Vecar is just "Aluminium" ... I never meet any "Ollominium" walking around in the workshop

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, now I see the peg. Such a beautiful bike. Again, thanks for the pictures
    Famous Quotes....
    James May - "It's an ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place!"
    BillMi - "Holy Cats! .... (it's) a death trap with extra killing sauce."
    Teresa Dillard - "I can't believe you (Ted) killed a Prius."

[10-09, 20:32] jpanichella: I was worried I was talking to myself
    [10-09, 20:45] EVcycle: you were I am a bot.....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast