Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $1.86 per mile is the cost of an LIFEPO4 elmoto .. post-mortem

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not bashing on him in any way. Props to him for building a really nice conversion. I read the post more as academic (hence, "how could he have done better?") Maybe there's more that could be read into that...I haven't been following whatever other disagreements have been going on about LiFePO4, BMS, or whatever.

I see my bike pop up on other forums and such, I read people's comments and learn from them (or I just ignore them). Emailing him directly would be a nice gesture though.

Anyway...back to the learnin' stuff:

From EValbum:

"22 Thunder Sky LFP-90, 3.20 Volt, Lithium-IonMade in China, and imported to Canada by me."

So looks like he got them new, and they're dead after about 250 charge cycles.

And honestly, I don't think what we say here is going to affect his sale (nor do I really care if he actually spent $20k or is inflating the price). I was just pointing out the facts, as I saw them.

**I'm off for Costa Rica! No internet, no computer...no elmoto. Talk to you mo fos next month!**
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

2. Likes EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    have a awesome vacation Noah - but if i pop out of your suit case when you get there, just ignore me... "Stow Away"...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    **I'm off for Costa Rica! No internet, no computer...no elmoto. Talk to you mo fos next month!**

Enjoy dat sweet pura vida!

Post Thanks / Like
    His page says it was last updated 2/16/10. I'm pretty sure he could have put 2000 miles on his bike in two years. As for cost, all the little things add up. Also, he may have had labor costs to machine or design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Impossible to justify a build based on the Return On Investment (ROI) alone. I've had a blast making an riding mine - sticking it to the Oil Companies is just icing on the cake.

At $6K (and counting) and not even 1000 miles yet, I'm still in hot water with the family CFO.

7. Likes EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomSmith View Post
    Impossible to justify a build based on the Return On Investment (ROI) alone. I've had a blast making an riding mine - sticking it to the Oil Companies is just icing on the cake.

At $6K (and counting) and not even 1000 miles yet, I'm still in hot water with the family CFO.
    That is where I am on mine

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, cost for a R&D home project is going to be high. I hoped to put $7K into mine, but ended up more like $13K+.

I had a cost breakdown up until it got around $10K and i was still working on putting the pack together.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    My company had an office in Canas.....I used to spend 2 weeks every 3 months down there! Thank god I was american and single!
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95, 6:1 Gearing, (25) 40Ah Calib Lifepo4 cells
    On board 6 amp charger, Mini-BMS, Kelly Controller with regen, all LED lighting
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my 24 Hi Power lasted about 50 charges before they started to stop cooperating with each other. It might have been the BMS, or asking 3C from them, or just the chemistry of the various cells giving up the ghost at different rates. I don't think those Chinese LiFePo4 batteries were really designed for the abuse that they got.

Post Thanks / Like
    the HP cells seem ok (barely) if you never go over 1c with them. Not so good when you have a 5kwh pack you need at least 20kw from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast