Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Motor

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook

Choosing a Motor & Controller

I'm trying to work out components for MY BUILD, so I figured I would focus on the motor first.

I've looked at what other are using, and it seems to me that the best bang for my buck at the moment is this Mars/Motenergy ME1003 and Altrax 7245 combo from EVDrives

http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/ck-1003-1.htm

CK-1003-1-2.jpg

Is there any reason to doubt this combination, or can I just consider it decision made?

I also find conflicting specs on the 1003 some places say 3050 max rpm , and I have also seen 5000. Can anyone tell me the actual loaded RPM at 72 volts that I should enter into the Elmoto Calculator 2.18?
    Last edited by furyphoto; 28 October 2013 at 1640.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    The ME1003 is a very good motor. We are running it in the Cafe racer and have it up to 4000 RPM at 80V (loaded)
    72 would be more like 3400 RPM. (depending on your voltage drop and load)

Not sure I would go much higher on the RPM.
    Last edited by EVcycle; 10 November 2012 at 0815.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

teddillard
    I'm running that motor too, and love it! On the Mount Washington run it didn't even get warm. I had the ME0709 (which did get pretty toasty) and the Briggs ETEK (which got hot, and didn't have the low-end torque), and this thing is better. I should note: I ♥ wheelies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the same motor and controller combo. EV Drives was a great company to work with on the purchase, btw. They shipped VERY quickly upon receipt of order, and everything arrived well packaged and in great shape.

I've also found lots of conflicting web info on the allowable, max, and recommended shaft speed of the motor. I currently have installed a 4:1 rear:front sprocket ratio. At 3100 rpm it calcs out to 60mph top speed. I'll be running a 76V nominal battery system.

I'm getting close to having all the mechanical hardware mounted up, and should be able to report on how it works by the end of the year.

For those interested, I'm documenting the build on my blog: http://evmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ (I'm traveling a lot this month, so posts are at best 1x per week until December)...

teddillard
    Coincidentally, John just sent me some shots of his new brush holder design:
    http://evmc2.wordpress.com/2012/11/1...-brush-holder/

...which all of his new motors in stock are equipped with.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    The ME1003 is a very good motor. We are running it in the Cafe racer and have it up to 4000 RPM at 80V (loaded)
    72 would be more like 3400 RPM. (depending on your voltage drop and load)

Not sure I would go much higher on the RPM.
    Ed: Is 80v your nominal voltage? your evalbum page says 86v. I am trying to get my head around the specs on your bike, because I can't get the EValbum numbers to add up. You have a demonstrated top speed of 102mph, but the math on your gear ratio and the max motor speed of 4000rpm only get to about 85-90 depending on the size of your wheel. And that's just the gear ratio math, not accounting for drag, or anything else.

Are you pushing the motor past 4000 for short bursts for your top speed? I don't need anywhere near 102mph, I would like a useable 75mph for passing in short bursts. I am just trying to get a sense of real world performance, so I can design my system so it meets my expected specs.

Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    I'm running that motor too, and love it! On the Mount Washington run it didn't even get warm. I had the ME0709 (which did get pretty toasty) and the Briggs ETEK (which got hot, and didn't have the low-end torque), and this thing is better. I should note: I ♥ wheelies.
    Ted: What about the pack voltage, sprocket ratio, and speed performance of your R5e? Can you share a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyebug View Post
    I purchased the same motor and controller combo. EV Drives was a great company to work with on the purchase, btw. They shipped VERY quickly upon receipt of order, and everything arrived well packaged and in great shape.

I've also found lots of conflicting web info on the allowable, max, and recommended shaft speed of the motor. I currently have installed a 4:1 rear:front sprocket ratio. At 3100 rpm it calcs out to 60mph top speed. I'll be running a 76V nominal battery system.

I'm getting close to having all the mechanical hardware mounted up, and should be able to report on how it works by the end of the year.

For those interested, I'm documenting the build on my blog: http://evmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ (I'm traveling a lot this month, so posts are at best 1x per week until December)...
    Bugeye: Thanks for your input, I read your whole blog the other night, I will be paying attention, and will be really interested to see your real world results.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM

Post Thanks / Like
    "Ed: Is 80v your nominal voltage? your evalbum page says 86v. I am trying to get my head around the specs on your bike, because I can't get the EValbum numbers to add up. You have a demonstrated top speed of 102mph, but the math on your gear ratio and the max motor speed of 4000rpm only get to about 85-90 depending on the size of your wheel. And that's just the gear ratio math, not accounting for drag, or anything else.

Are you pushing the motor past 4000 for short bursts for your top speed? I don't need anywhere near 102mph, I would like a useable 75mph for passing in short bursts. I am just trying to get a sense of real world performance, so I can design my system so it meets my expected specs."

I guess I need to update my EV Album.

We have DONE 102MPH but that was with a 20 tooth front sprocket and a very long road. My normal around town setup is a 15 front and it will do 75 top speed. This is a very light ride too. All of these items make a difference.

We charge to 94 volts and then it settles to 88 volts. (That will be changed soon as well.)

Ed
    Last edited by EVcycle; 13 November 2012 at 1325.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post

We have DONE 102MPH but that was with a 20 tooth front sprocket and a very long road. My normal around town setup is a 15 front and it will do 75 top speed. This is a very light ride too. All of these make a difference.

Ed

We charge to 94 volts and them it settles to 88 volts. (That will be changed soon as well.)
    Ah, makes much more sense now! I am considering an 88.8 nominal Li-po pack for this build with that motor, it's good to see someone is successfully running the motor at a similar voltage. Most of my riding would be well below the top speed. I am targeting a curb weight of <=350lbs, we will see. (plus I am small and light!)
    Last edited by furyphoto; 13 November 2012 at 1337.
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

After a bunch of research, I will definitely go with my first choice, the Alltrax 7245 and the Mars ME 1003. I will be looking to build a pack that gets to a resting voltage of just under the max limit of 90v on the controller. I was tempted to go for the new Alltrax SPM controller, but my cheapness got the better of me when I came across a used 7245 for the bargain price of just $230.00 I will put the saved $300 towards the battery pack!
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

10. Likes EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Controller is alive

Got a chance to quickly hook up my controller and throttle, and get them talking to my computer today. I was optimistically confidant but nervous because it is a used controller & throttle, but all looks good (so far). Small victories!

Those of you using an AXE 7245, what throttle curve are you using?

Last edited by furyphoto; 29 October 2013 at 2033. Reason: fiexd seplling
    -Andrew

mail(at)andrewdoran.com

12. Likes frodus liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast