Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Videos of the Empulse RR put up by Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I thought "gearbox" was a dirty word around here......
    Last edited by Richard230; 02 December 2010 at 0853. Reason: added a word

jpanichella
    Must tell us mooooorreeee

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect he means the step-down gearbox. The Empulse, Lightning, and MotoCzysz all run high efficiency, high power motors. This means small, liquid cooled, and turning HUGH rpms. You are not going to get that to the rear wheel in one step.

Warren

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I suspect he means the step-down gearbox. The Empulse, Lightning, and MotoCzysz all run high efficiency, high power motors. This means small, liquid cooled, and turning HUGH rpms. You are not going to get that to the rear wheel in one step.

Warren
    ummm... are you speaking from experience/firsthand knowledge, or conjecture? I know a little about the motors they're running, but wasn't aware of any "step-down" gearbox or what I'd call huge RPMs. Hell, last I knew they weren't even dishing what motor the Empulse was using, specifically, since they hadn't really decided yet. Did I miss the memo?

Dir of Prod Dev @ Brammo BrammoBrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry... it's a geared reduction in a housing - hence "gearbox". The Empulse RR race bike is still direct drive.
    Brian Wismann
    Director of Product Development
    Brammo, Inc

www.brammo.com

Personal Enertia Mileage: 5,482 miles
    Gallons of gas offset (vs. my car @ 21mpg): 261 gallons
    Money not spent on gas (Premium @ $2.95/gal): $770.09

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep I want Brians job.....although I'm working hard to get to do as much of it as possible here at Manzanita Micro

BTW thanks for the sweet video posts.......

Post Thanks / Like
    The motor on the empulse looks like a PMS 156. http://www.perm-motor.de/index.php?i...on-motoren&L=1

This would make sense as the enertia uses a PMS 120. Hopefully watercooled

Controller wise my money is on the new-ish Sevcons.

Brammo may make the "battery" but I seriously doubt they're manufacturing cells.

Cell wise, not valence. I would guess something like kokam or A123 pouches but anything in that ballpark would make a 10kwh 420lb bike cost over 14K to keep a good margin. Unless of course brammo's buying in huge bulk or losing money on every bike sold.

The Empulse is a cornerstone for Elmoto.net folk because for the first time, it will be cheaper for us to buy an awesome electric motorcycle than it would be to build one. No other bike on the market can do that for us, which is part of the reason we exist. I suspect over time ELmoto will be less about hardcore converters and more about softcore modders to their already electric Elmotos.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    ummm... are you speaking from experience/firsthand knowledge, or conjecture? I know a little about the motors they're running, but wasn't aware of any "step-down" gearbox or what I'd call huge RPMs. Hell, last I knew they weren't even dishing what motor the Empulse was using, specifically, since they hadn't really decided yet. Did I miss the memo?
    Lightning and Motoczysz run with gear reduction.

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Lightning and Motoczysz run with gear reduction.
    Really. I had no idea...

Post Thanks / Like

On the othe side of the bike there is a chain motor to jack shaft then the sprocket shown on that picture is one of the final drive sprockets

Those videos are great and frustrating to watch after the end of the race season ;D
    Last edited by chdfarl; 02 December 2010 at 2159.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast