Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Mayhem

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Electric Mayhem

Here's my resurected bike thread, (RIP ElMoto v1.0 ). Currently I've got 75% or more of the wiring done, (in test mode - off the bike), so it's actually close to being rideable - if it weren't for the fact that it's winter! When I've got the wiring completed and tested I'll be able to get the batteries and motor installed. Then it will be a case of repairing some body work, refinishing the seat and getting new tires. Watch out spring - here I come!

Donor bike: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900

Motor: D&D ES-10E-33 SepEx

Controller: Sevcon SEM PowerPak 80V

Batteries: 24 Sky Energy 60AH cells (4.6kWh)

Charger: Offboard self-built 88V 15A

Estimated top speed: Really, really, really fast.

Estimated range: Like a gazillion miles or something

Other stuff: Vicor DC/DC converter, MiniBMS, regen braking.

Stuff that might or might not make it on to the bike for spring: Microcontroller interface to Sevcon controller. My own BMS design. Onboard 5A charger.

(23791 miles on the clock before first time out.)
    Last edited by DaveAK; 20 May 2011 at 1854. Reason: Added mileage for record keeping purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't happen unless we see pictures......
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    That's almost as fast as my bike goes...just sayin haha

Kyle
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the old pictures. Nothing new to show yet.

Motor mount:

Motor mount and battery cage assembly:

With motor, batteries and controller:

(Two less cells now.)

Battery charger:

And this is what it's all going in to:

jpanichella
    Very cool. Same motor that I have. I noticed that the back of your motor mount is mostly to help support the weight, but not the torque of the motor. I assume the motor is too long to cantilever, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpanichella View Post
    Very cool. Same motor that I have. I noticed that the back of your motor mount is mostly to help support the weight, but not the torque of the motor. I assume the motor is too long to cantilever, right?
    Actually no, the motor is only supported by the face plate and bolts only. I made the mount as a square box for ridgidity and to make up for my lack of welding experience. A properly engineered mount should hold the motor just by the bolts, (or so I've been told!) Having said that it is a snug fit and may be taking some of the weight.

But now that you've got me thinking about it there could be loads on the motor mounting that aren't normally found in the original design intent, (such as a motorcycle going over a bumpy road). So I guess the design as it stands couldn't hurt.

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice metal work. Wish I had the skillz to do that. You must've had those CALB cells for a while now. Do you top them off periodically? Hopefully they have no ill effects from sitting idle.

That's one crazy battery charger setup

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had the cells since March I think. I charged them all individually before I built the pack and haven't charged them since. I've checked them occasionally and before I did my first motor run a couple of weeks ago they were still at 3.335V. After the few small tests I did they're at 3.297V. Charging was supposed to be this weekend, but will have to wait now. I blew up my ammeter doing something stupid because I was tired. As soon as I get a replacement, (on its way from Hong Kong), I'll get it completed and charge my pack.

Oh, and it's my first attempt at welding, so I don't got no skillz. It's pretty crappy stuff when you look at it closely. I'm just hoping it's strong enough to last a season or two up and down our dirt road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures Dave!
    How does the battery pack/motor assembly mount to the front of the bike? Did you use the two front motor mounts? Weld a different bracket to the frame? I had to make a custom bushing to make mine mate up without a lot of play in the connection to those motor mounts in front.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldBruce View Post
    Thanks for the pictures Dave!
    How does the battery pack/motor assembly mount to the front of the bike? Did you use the two front motor mounts? Weld a different bracket to the frame? I had to make a custom bushing to make mine mate up without a lot of play in the connection to those motor mounts in front.
    The strut that goes up at about 45 degrees has a hole at the top. A threaded rod goes through the existing front/top frame mounts and through this strut. The rod also bends in the middle because I didn't use a good enough grade of steel , but it will be going through spacers to keep the strut centralized. I haven't made those yet so I think I might modify the design to use one piece of thick walled tube and enlarge the hole.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast