Thread: Photoshop to CAD file conversion?

teddillard

Photoshop to CAD file conversion?

Look, it takes me about 5 minutes to do an awesome, perfect Photoshop drawing that's dimensionally accurate. I've tried to learn Sketchup, various CAD software and the BigBlueSaw tool, and there's some major disconnect in my head about it... I have, though, seen a few utilities that claim to take a .pdf format, or even a .jpg or .tif format file and convert it to a .dwg file.

Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing? Can you suggest a utility to do it? Even more off-beat, how about on a Mac platform? (I run WinXP too on this thing, but a native Mac app would be awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have, though, seen a few utilities that claim to take a .pdf format, or even a .jpg or .tif format file and convert it to a .dwg file.
    A few? there's plenty
    http://www.google.dk/#hl=da&expIds=1...286c882c4459ab
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Post Thanks / Like
    "We realize that we have not answered all your questions and in most cases, our
    answers have only served to produce more questions for which we have no answers,
    leaving us as confused as before. However, (we believe) we are now confused on a
    much higher level and about much more important things than before."

1978 Suzuki GS550 - 48V 60Ah Pb-A, Alltrax 4844, Etek-RT
    1997 Suzuki Katana 600 - 18s8p (~72V, 40Ah) 30C Turnigy Lipo, Navitas 500A with D&D Sepex

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Coiro View Post

frikkin kids. (Guess princess smartypants missed the part about "Anybody have any experience with this kind of thing?" lol!)

teddillard
    Just built a test part in Photoshop and saved it out as a .gif, which BigBlueSaw allows as a supported upload. This one worked swell, so maybe that's the option to go with.

teddillard
    Problem solved: TurboCAD for Mac- http://www.turbocad.com/

Messed with the free download, made a part in 2 minutes flat. Only sells for $70

Last edited by teddillard; 27 December 2010 at 0503.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    or email me the image, i'll convert it to PDF and then to DXF

teddillard
    Thanks Travis! TurboCAD makes .dxf and .dwg files, so I think I'm in good shape. I just emailed my buddy with the jet to see how hard he laughs at my "skills".