Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IPOs: GM vs Tesla

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by electrician View Post
    Invest in GM because the government won't let them fail, even if they say that they won't do it again. So your stocks are more secure than Telsa, who the government doesn't care if they fail or not. I just wish Tesla's sport car wasn't so darn expensive, then I'd by one today.
    But what you are forgetting is that even though the government didn't let GM fail, all investors took it in the shorts! The stock value went to zero when they filed for bankruptcy. Not such a good investment unless you were the government who will get at lest 3/4 their money back.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    As far as Tesla is concerned, don't forget the Model S is coming really soon, with a $50,000 price tag (or there abouts). That is part of their strategy, top down production. However, I think the Roadster did for the whole industry what Tesla was hoping it would do for just them. I think the model S will be the right car for the times, but this brings me to a company you folks have forgot, Ford. I have no idea how their stocks are, but they are doing better the GM, and next year they will release an all electric Focus, years before (it seems to me) Tesla will release an economy car. Ford has hybrids, and now had almost a decade of experience with them. Granted, they aren't the right kind like the Volt is, but it's all there. I'm still waiting for the Plug-in Escape.
    The Model S is a step in the right direction. At that price they should be able to sell alot more, especially considering it's a more practical car than the Tesla roadster. Still, $50k is high for the average buyer and they'll have to bring the price down a good bit more to become mainstream. But as a luxury class vehicle they may be able to carve out a niche if they play their cards right. I say 'luxury class' instead of 'EV enthusiasts' because I don't think they'd be able to make alot of money off us cheapskates

Ford is definitely a contender worth considering. Not an IPO, though I guess you could argue GM isn't really an IPO in the traditional sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    My newspaper today has a front-page article about Tesla with the catchy title of: "Low battery alert: investors bail on Tesla". It is a long article written by Troy Wolverton of mercurynews.com. The article says that Tesla's stock value dropped 22% yesterday. It appears that stockholders are getting tired of waiting for Tesla to produce the Model S while many other manufacturers are introducing their EVs for sale. The article says that although Tesla projects that the Model S will be on the market by 2012, some investors and stock analysts are not so sure. Plus the projected MSRP of $57,400 is deemed too high for any sort of volume sales in the current market. The article says that there is a big difference between making 1000 cars a year and making 100,000 cars a year, while also making money doing it (which has always been a problem for Tesla).

Another comment was that insiders owning the company stock were allowed to sell their shares yesterday upon the ending of a "lock-up" period for investors who owned the stock at the time of the IPO. When they started selling the stock, some other investors became nervous. Tesla's stock value has dropped from a high of over $35 to $25.55 a share as of yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that Tesla has felt the need to beat their chest after taking it on the chin in the stock market this week, according to an article in my newspaper today written by Alan Ohnsman of Bloomberg News.

Their Chief Technology Officer, J.B. Straubel recently said in an interview that Tesla will be able to make money on the Model S once sales reach 20,000 a year. Whereas, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn has said that combined battery-car sales for both Nissan and its affiliate Renault may need to reach 500,000 units a year to become profitable - without government aid.

Straubel claims that this is because Nissan uses a large Li-ion battery which is very expensive to manufacture, compared with their use of thousands of small Li-ion laptop-type cells, which he says will remain more cost effective for the foreseeable future.

The article says that Tesla's battery packs may cost as little as $200 per kWh, compared to about $700 to $800 per kWh for large-form cell Li-ion packs, according to Martin Eberhard, a Tesla founder and former chief executive. Straubel declined to confirm Eberhard's cost estimate or discuss the cost of Tesla's battery packs.

David Reuter, a spokesman for Nissan, says that Nissan's EV strategy can't really be compared with that of Tesla's. He didn't elaborate. But he did say that the "Nissan Leaf product program will be profitable over its life cycle". However, he also declined to say how long this life cycle would be.

Happy New Year everyone.

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting turn of events...
    http://www.streetinsider.com/Upgrade...y/6398471.html
    Morgan Stanley is out with one of the boldest calls I have seen in a while - Adam Jonas is upgrading Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) with a $70 price target, representing almost 200% upside.

His Bull Case? $135 share - 460% upside. According to the firm Tesla will eventually become the 4th major U.S. Auto manufacturer behind GM, Ford & Chrysler.
    This begs the question -- How accurate is Morgan Stanley's assessment...

Post Thanks / Like
    Won't let me look at it since I am not a member.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    And TESLA is now up 17% already today....... Helps my paltry little 25 shares but sure proves the herd mentality is at work......
    Thomas A. Edison

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldBruce View Post
    And TESLA is now up 17% already today....... Helps my paltry little 25 shares but sure proves the herd mentality is at work......
    Yeah. My first reaction was Adam Jonas must have friends with Tesla stock.

o_O
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    Won't let me look at it since I am not a member.
    Strange.. didn't ask me for membership. Here's a Google cache text-only version of the page
    LINK

Post Thanks / Like
    IF they make it, TESLA will grow very quickly in both sales and equity. Big IF. I think they will, but they face many struggles to get to 2013 and large volumes of the Model S. They are planning on selling 5000 cars in 2012, but that "only" gets them 250 million of sales. 2013 is planned for a cool billion in sales. That should get Detroit's attention.
    Thomas A. Edison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast