Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for elite power solutions battery pack

Post Thanks / Like

Question for elite power solutions battery pack

As posted in "Today I', I got my battery pack charging on the bench today. Just before I headed off to bed, one last look to see where they were on the charge. It was 99 and went to 100 right before my eyes. Cool, I thought! But then I went to check the individual cells on the other screen and it showed the temp of cells 7 & 8 higher than the others. 7 & 8 were 98 and 97 respectively. The rest were at 87 to 89. I got the fault light on the charger blinking and then the charger stopped momentarily, after a minute or so it ran again. (It cycled like this a few times for the 15 or so minutes I was out there). I had the batteries covered with cardboard (just as a protector against an inadvertent metal tool impact) and when I lifted the card board, I noticed the 2 cells with higher temps had a red light on the sense boards. The green was still on, but the red was also. My question is this.....Is this normal? Is this something I should be worried about? The LCD screen also noted an over voltage and the top line was red. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Otis

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to keep bothering with questions, but there were 53 views on my post and no replies. Maybe the right person (who knows this battery system) has not viewed it yet. But I have an update... I unplugged the charger last night before retiring for the evening and when I got up this morning, all the red lights had gone out. So I plugged the charger back in before I went to work and when I got home today, cells 5 -24 all had red lights. Again, the green was on also. So I'm REEEEEEALLYYY hoping this is normal. That's my question, is this normal or should I be worried? The LCD read out says the pack is normal. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Otis

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if I've confused myself or found an answer. I found the Battery Balancer Specs and in one spot it says,

"The red LED will light to indicate that the load is applied."

And in another place it says,

"LEDs .................................................. ............................................... green battery connected
    red discharging"

In my mind, "a load applied" might mean charging? But "discharging" might mean, well....it's discharging.
    In the veteran EV bike builders opinion, is this saying the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that red is shunting. So if you have a battery that is going over the high setpoint the BMS should try and bleed off that excess energy so the rest of the low cells can catch up. (that is how are BMS works anyways)

You should be able to call them with a quick question. (I have talked to them about something else and they were pleasent to deal with)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320freek View Post
    I'm not sure if I've confused myself or found an answer. I found the Battery Balancer Specs and in one spot it says,

"The red LED will light to indicate that the load is applied."

And in another place it says,

"LEDs .................................................. ............................................... green battery connected
    red discharging"

In my mind, "a load applied" might mean charging? But "discharging" might mean, well....it's discharging.
    In the veteran EV bike builders opinion, is this saying the same thing?
    This is all normal the red LED means that the BMS is shunting power away from the cell. This is how the BMS balances the batteries. Those two cells are at a higher voltage and the BMS bypass current through a resistor instead of into the cell. This allows the other cells at lower voltage to continue to charge up.

The increase in temp is probably due to heat generated by the resistors shunting current. The temp sensor is on the same board as the resistors.

Also the charger cycles on and off to allow the shunting to be more effective. Bring the high cells down without charging current being applied.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 16 March 2012 at 1839.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Nuts & Volts

Thank you very much! Your reply has been helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    basically, It's working as it's supposed to. The temp sensor is really only useful when you're discharging. During charge, the shunt will heat up the board and show you the board temp. When discharging, it should be a little more accurate since it's mounted to the cell terminal.

When all of the boards turn red, and the charger turns off, it shouldn't turn back on and the charge is complete.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's anything like the last gen BMS from EPS, red means shunting. They'll turn on and off while charging, and sometimes the charge will turn off, let cells balance, then turn on again. When the charge is done, all red LEDs should be *off*.

It makes sense that a lot of them are turning on right now since it's a new pack and they're not perfectly balanced. After a few cycles the balance part of the charge will go faster.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    just check if cell voltage stay high also when the pack is not charging ... if your 2 higher temperature cell have an higher voltage during charge and also have higher than average voltage when the charger is off this is just an unbalanced pack and is ok.

If those cell when the gharger shut off have a voltage LOWER than the others this is a very BAD sign .. the cell have an internal resistance higher than the other and will fail very soon ( in a few month ) I got 2 over 32 cell from GBS dying too early , but they replaced the bad cell very fast at no cost. Application packages from GBS have 1 year warranty

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your input!
    A tremendous help!
    I definitely feel better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast